Selecting keywords for SEO or keyword research as it is called is a process of determining the best phrases to use in order
to draw in desired traffic. It is a common on site SEO practice, but it is not always needed. Successful writers, bloggers are well known to despise SEO methods. And well they should, it may impede their creative flow. And quality content, even when not under SEO can be very powerful. I would personally rather promote great content than rehashed SEO content of poor quality.
Keywords are used to help search engines categorize your site and will lead to related traffic in turn. Related traffic is the highest quality traffic you can have, which will be interested in your content. In the past tricking visitors to your site was considered beneficial, now it is not only frowned upon, but due to the low average time spent on site may even be a negative statistic to your site. In any case, people not interested or deceived make poor customers and non productive visitors.
Let us look at some factors you should be aware of when choosing your keywords:
- The purpose of your site Your site can have many roles. Common roles for sites are informational, much like this one and transactional sites, such as those looking to sell products or display ads (well ads are not transactions, i just put them in the same category for ease of understanding). There are other purposes to websites, try thinking a few and post your ideas in the comments!If you are running a site that is designed to sell things you may try selecting keywords for SEO that already imply an interest in a purchase.Lets take my site on Cheap bookcases for sale as an example.The prefix word cheap implies that a customer is in search of a cheap, in this case bookcase. In most cases people do not just do that for fun.The suffix phrase for sale serves pretty much the same purpose. It implies a search for a transaction in a greater degree than a word like cool, awesome, free etc..
If your site relies on traffic (such as informational sites and sites running ads) you should in effect choose keywords that draw in as many people as possible. The keywords you choose should have as high search volumes as you can get.
- Desired traffic of your site. Traffic is great. Even poor quality traffic may increase revenue to a point. But choosing keywords for traffic is not just a matter of search volume, but also other factors, such as competition strength. Competition plays a large role in your SEO success stories. Areas such as weight loss, travel, internet marketing all sport some serious competition and if you are in search of a SEO battle, head into these areas. Treasures and pitfalls await!Since i like example i would like to point one out i just discussed yesterday. Someone made a page about cheap airline tickets. The search volume by using the free if somewhat inaccurate Adwords keyword tool is around 246.000 of exact searches for that keyword. If i had 10% of that traffic on all my websites i would be designing my own batcave at this point.Well all great so far. Now let us take a peek at the competition. 2.070.000 websites has the same keyword in its title. That means that you have that much exact search competition. If you reach the first 10 pages of that field, please do contact me and give me some tips on how to be a better SEO, since i have obviously been wasting my time. In short, the keyword is too heavily contested. Optimizing for it will only serve as a money sink and a waste of resources.Unless you get to the first few pages in the SERPs on that keyword, your investment will not pay off.
- Budget. Budget limits our ambitions. Budget or time, if we are doing SEO ourselves. High competition fields require larger investments to reach higher positions in the search engines. Therefore, you will need to balance the desired traffic with the amount you can spend on it. Search engine optimization is just like advertising. You invest, you profit.If your are doing SEO yourself, picking up the crumbs by optimizing for micro niches might be in order. A micro niche is an area with low competition and some traffic.If you have spending money, you might want to invest more into making support sites, backlinks, content and promotion in the social media. A note though, support sites, backlinking is not white hat and may get you arrested. Just kidding. Deindexed.
I hope this short post helped you out, please comment on the factors you think are important when choosing keywords for SEO.
Image by vinceconnare
Funnily enough, we use natural link building and organic results in search engine terminology. But it has nothing to do with nature in the sense that you would be wearing a leaf on your crotch and built links.
Then what is natural link building?
Natural link building is link building that attempts to imitate a natural development of a link structure by imitating a natural rise of popularity in the SERPs by spacing out linking frequency and amount so it looks natural.
Why would we want to build links naturally?
Well, to start, building links itself is not very white hat, meaning it is not very liked by search engines companies who see it as manipulating their engines. To be frank, they are right. Building links is like building votes for your site and you are making those votes yourself. In a way you are faking the popularity of your page! But hey, everybody’s doing it!
How does natural link building look in practice?
Natural link building looks like this:
- You keep the frequency of links consistent. It is important to note the dates when you added the links to make sure you do not add too many too fast.
- Keep link amount low at the start. No new site ever gets 200 quality links on its day of coming online.
- Keep link quality low at the start. You can not have a PR5 package of sites link to oyu from the start. Looks fishy!
Earning backlinks is an expression a lot of white hat SEO’s like to use to describe an emphasis on quality and content and not on traditional techniques such as link building.
The reasoning behind “earning links” is that your great content will go viral, meaning users will begin to share it themselves. In an age of social media, internet and forums, that is not a bad bet. If you want an example, check this Squidoo site i run. I have done one pin on Pinterest. When i checked back a few months later the site had 200 pins and now it has even more. It is going viral all by itself, which is saving me time promoting it. Not bad at all huh?
I would not call earning links alone a good strategy, you need to include a balanced portfolio of links, promotion and optimization to achieve the optimal result. But building links alone, can be tiresome. Why not let other people do it for you?
See the video below for further info!
Nofollow is an attribute of the anchor text HTML tag. As an SEO or someone with web design knowledge you probably know this tag as common way to create links to and from your website.
The nofollow attribute was implemented to limit the wild and absurd spamming of links on forums, blogs, wikipedias and other sites. You can still find an optimistic SEO spamming links around on high PR blogs and websites in hope of raising his websites Pagerank.
Okay so i understand the background, but what is a no follow link?
Well, the nofollow attribute has the following characteristics:
- the search engine spiders should not follow this link to its destination (this is a debatable issue, since they do)
- the link does not pass Pagerank to the site the link is pointed at
Why is nofollow important for SEO?
Nofollow links do not pass link juice, or Page rank from site to site. That means that simple link spamming will not help much with your position on search engine results (SERPs).
Nofollow attribute is also great at limiting any leaking of Pagerank from your site. Think of every link on your site as a hole in a plastic bottle. The more holes the bottle has, the faster it loses Pagerank (well not faster, but the site authority is diluted).
So as an SEO you can influence your onsite optimization by adding a nofollow attribute to your outbound links. Keep only those links dofollow that you want to pass link juice to.
How do i implement a nofollow attribute to a link?
Add a rel=”nofollow” to your links.
<a href=”hankypanky.com” rel=”nofollow”>The hanky panky website</a>
Doing SEO can be a wonderful job. I know i enjoy it. But at the same time you need to know your boundaries. An SEO specialist is a multiplicator of what already exists. As such it is a jack of all trades profession of the internet marketing field.
The skills you need to SEO a website are:
– HTML, CSS for basic link building
– Google analytics, keyword research
– Knowledge of on site optimization concepts
– Knowledge of off site optimization concepts
– Understanding what are the ranking factors for a specific search engine and how they work
– Additional knowledge and methods of drawing in traffic
– Google webmaster guidelines
How to optimize a website for a client?
There are quite a few things you need to do in order to have a happy client that will keep you on board and benefit from your work. Remember that your work will pay you. If you fail in your SEO work you will cause damage to the client and your future dealings with him and the entire SEO community in your area!
So what are the steps needed to make a successful campaign?
1. Know your clients wishes, consult on the techniques you are allowed to employ, what are your goals, who are the clients buyers
2. Set up Google analytics
3. Consult the page designer or gain access to the page code and edit the appropriate on site optimization features such as keyword density, headings, titles, remove errors, broken links etc.
4. Design a strategy for increasing traffic to your site. This may involve but is not limited to link building, promotion, building email lists etc.
5. Compile a report on your results and compare it to your goals. Try to report on your progress monthly.
See the link below for a quick SEO methodology training course.
Try this training course if you need quality SEO information
Search engine rankings that are called organic rankings and are influenced by SEO.
Search engine optimization should be followed in a structured fashion. It is not an area that is forgiving and if done wrong, a Google penalty or deindex of a site may occur.
So what would the basic steps of a SEO campaign contain and how to SEO a website?
1. The first thing we should note is what our aim is. What is the content we are promoting? Who are our buyers?
2. The second consideration should be on our budget. SEO if done by yourself can be a time consuming matter, that is why many companies or individuals outsource it. But those companies will require a budget frame to shape the tools, time and other resources available to your cause. The more you invest, the more you should get out of it. One thing many managers should note is that anyone who claims he can guarantee a #1 position on the Google search should be looked at with suspicion. Although i myself can be relatively sure a niche site will rank well, i can only guarantee an improvement in the search positions to anyone without much doubt.
3. After selecting the budget and knowing our buyer (meaning we know who we are selling to), we can start to shape our SEO campaign. The first thing to note would be the choice between a sustainable campaign that will keep its investment, but take time or a campaign what will eventually end and the site will be penalized, but the results will be quick. What i am referring here is the difference between a black hat or a white hat SEO campaign.
Again, i must stress that black hat techniques are a get rich quick scheme and can cause a Google penalty. Use with caution and make sure you make a lot of money doing it, since it will probably not last.
4. We should equip our site with statistical tools. These are free and provided by Google, merged into a tool called Google Adwords. This provides you with the code you insert into your account (Google analytics).
This tool is a haven for anyone dealing with SEO and should be used by the client as a way of supervising your SEO contractor or by the SEO themselves for tracking traffic and other meaningful statistics.
5. Make sure you keep an eye on reports from your SEO contractor. Monthly reports should be looked at carefully to determine the advance in ranking positions, meaningful traffic and increased revenue due to SEO activities.