Earning backlinks is an expression a lot of white hat SEO’s like to use to describe an emphasis on quality and content and not on traditional techniques such as link building.
The reasoning behind “earning links” is that your great content will go viral, meaning users will begin to share it themselves. In an age of social media, internet and forums, that is not a bad bet. If you want an example, check this Squidoo site i run. I have done one pin on Pinterest. When i checked back a few months later the site had 200 pins and now it has even more. It is going viral all by itself, which is saving me time promoting it. Not bad at all huh?
I would not call earning links alone a good strategy, you need to include a balanced portfolio of links, promotion and optimization to achieve the optimal result. But building links alone, can be tiresome. Why not let other people do it for you?
See the video below for further info!
Nofollow is an attribute of the anchor text HTML tag. As an SEO or someone with web design knowledge you probably know this tag as common way to create links to and from your website.
The nofollow attribute was implemented to limit the wild and absurd spamming of links on forums, blogs, wikipedias and other sites. You can still find an optimistic SEO spamming links around on high PR blogs and websites in hope of raising his websites Pagerank.
Okay so i understand the background, but what is a no follow link?
Well, the nofollow attribute has the following characteristics:
- the search engine spiders should not follow this link to its destination (this is a debatable issue, since they do)
- the link does not pass Pagerank to the site the link is pointed at
Why is nofollow important for SEO?
Nofollow links do not pass link juice, or Page rank from site to site. That means that simple link spamming will not help much with your position on search engine results (SERPs).
Nofollow attribute is also great at limiting any leaking of Pagerank from your site. Think of every link on your site as a hole in a plastic bottle. The more holes the bottle has, the faster it loses Pagerank (well not faster, but the site authority is diluted).
So as an SEO you can influence your onsite optimization by adding a nofollow attribute to your outbound links. Keep only those links dofollow that you want to pass link juice to.
How do i implement a nofollow attribute to a link?
Add a rel=”nofollow” to your links.
<a href=”hankypanky.com” rel=”nofollow”>The hanky panky website</a>
Doing SEO can be a wonderful job. I know i enjoy it. But at the same time you need to know your boundaries. An SEO specialist is a multiplicator of what already exists. As such it is a jack of all trades profession of the internet marketing field.
The skills you need to SEO a website are:
– HTML, CSS for basic link building
– Google analytics, keyword research
– Knowledge of on site optimization concepts
– Knowledge of off site optimization concepts
– Understanding what are the ranking factors for a specific search engine and how they work
– Additional knowledge and methods of drawing in traffic
– Google webmaster guidelines
How to optimize a website for a client?
There are quite a few things you need to do in order to have a happy client that will keep you on board and benefit from your work. Remember that your work will pay you. If you fail in your SEO work you will cause damage to the client and your future dealings with him and the entire SEO community in your area!
So what are the steps needed to make a successful campaign?
1. Know your clients wishes, consult on the techniques you are allowed to employ, what are your goals, who are the clients buyers
2. Set up Google analytics
3. Consult the page designer or gain access to the page code and edit the appropriate on site optimization features such as keyword density, headings, titles, remove errors, broken links etc.
4. Design a strategy for increasing traffic to your site. This may involve but is not limited to link building, promotion, building email lists etc.
5. Compile a report on your results and compare it to your goals. Try to report on your progress monthly.
See the link below for a quick SEO methodology training course.
Try this training course if you need quality SEO information
Search engine rankings that are called organic rankings and are influenced by SEO.
Search engine optimization should be followed in a structured fashion. It is not an area that is forgiving and if done wrong, a Google penalty or deindex of a site may occur.
So what would the basic steps of a SEO campaign contain and how to SEO a website?
1. The first thing we should note is what our aim is. What is the content we are promoting? Who are our buyers?
2. The second consideration should be on our budget. SEO if done by yourself can be a time consuming matter, that is why many companies or individuals outsource it. But those companies will require a budget frame to shape the tools, time and other resources available to your cause. The more you invest, the more you should get out of it. One thing many managers should note is that anyone who claims he can guarantee a #1 position on the Google search should be looked at with suspicion. Although i myself can be relatively sure a niche site will rank well, i can only guarantee an improvement in the search positions to anyone without much doubt.
3. After selecting the budget and knowing our buyer (meaning we know who we are selling to), we can start to shape our SEO campaign. The first thing to note would be the choice between a sustainable campaign that will keep its investment, but take time or a campaign what will eventually end and the site will be penalized, but the results will be quick. What i am referring here is the difference between a black hat or a white hat SEO campaign.
Again, i must stress that black hat techniques are a get rich quick scheme and can cause a Google penalty. Use with caution and make sure you make a lot of money doing it, since it will probably not last.
4. We should equip our site with statistical tools. These are free and provided by Google, merged into a tool called Google Adwords. This provides you with the code you insert into your account (Google analytics).
This tool is a haven for anyone dealing with SEO and should be used by the client as a way of supervising your SEO contractor or by the SEO themselves for tracking traffic and other meaningful statistics.
5. Make sure you keep an eye on reports from your SEO contractor. Monthly reports should be looked at carefully to determine the advance in ranking positions, meaningful traffic and increased revenue due to SEO activities.